Gone are the days of the bland, generic one-page resume. Employers these days are more impressed by a resume that is customized, and they tend to give jobs to interviewees that have a bit of knowledge about the company.
By doing your research, you’re showing initiative, which impresses potential employers. It will also help you decide whether or not you would feel comfortable working for the company and would fit in with others at the office and the overall atmosphere.
Researching the company can also help you ace the dreaded job interview, since it will give you an idea of what you want to communicate, and how you can incorporate your experiences into the company philosophy.
Overall, it will decrease stress levels because you’re already just a bit more prepared than the average applicant. So, relax… and start your research!
Here are five tips to customizing your resume:
- Visit the company’s website: read past the obvious introductory pieces. Pay special attention to the layout and design- they should give clues as to the type of company it is. If possible, familiarize yourself with the key players in the company.
- Go beyond the company site: Google the company name, and read some of the recent news articles, annual reports or any other relevant information you can find.
- Seek out the competitors: talk to anyone you know who works for one of the competitors to find out how your potential employer is viewed in their industry.
- Inquire around the water cooler: ask your friends and co-workers what they know about the company.
- Pick up the phone: call the company, and ask the receptionist their views on the company, including dress code, organization, leadership style, and overall office atmosphere.
Joshua Crawford | Managing Director | Get Hired Secrets
Get Hired Secrets is Launching Careers Daily. My name is Joshua Crawford, and I am a leading authority in all things Recruiting, most things HR, and an expert in helping you Get Hired. Get Hired Secrets is about bringing you powerful, insightful, impactful resume and interview techniques so you can dominate and get the job of your dreams. Check out our trainings, tips, and tricks at www.GetHiredSecrets.com
#Resume #Resumes #ResumeEditing #EditResume #ResumeHelp #ResumeRIP #ResumeAdvise #ResumeServices #ResumeTips #ResumeWriting #ResumeTraining #GetHiredSecrets #GetHired