You have just been invited to an on-site interview in another town. Hurray!
This means you will be traveling to an employer’s location so that they can further evaluate you for a specific job position.
Before you make any travel arrangements, it is a good idea to discuss who will be paying for your trip – you or the employer. If you are paying, find out if you will be reimbursed. It is a good idea to save all your receipts from the trip if you are being reimbursed for expenses.
Here are 10 Tips to keep in mind when traveling to interviews:
1) Let the employer know immediately if you must cancel the trip or make any changes to your visit.
2) Unless the employer is reserving your flight and hotel room, you will need a way to make reservations in advance. There are some great booking sites online like Expedia or Orbitz.
3) Get all directions and transportation instructions to your destination ahead of time.
4) Factor in your commute time when planning to leave for the interview destination. How long will it take you to get there in traffic?
5) Avoid late airplane flights. These can be cancelled or delayed at a moment’s notice.
6) Bring your interview clothes with you on the plane – just in case your checked luggage is lost or delayed.
7) It is okay to wear casual clothes while traveling if there is no employer representative waiting to meet you when you arrive.
8) When you check into the hotel, ask the receptionist if there are any messages or information for you from the employer.
9) Schedule a morning wakeup call with the hotel so you do not oversleep. Make sure you set the alarm on your cell phone as well.
10) Bring extra copies of resumes, recommendation letters, transcripts, contact information, etc.
Congratulations and good luck!
Joshua Crawford | Managing Director | Get Hired Secrets
Get Hired Secrets is Launching Careers Daily. My name is Joshua Crawford, and I am a leading authority in all things Recruiting, most things HR, and an expert in helping you Get Hired. Get Hired Secrets is about bringing you powerful, insightful, impactful resume and interview techniques so you can dominate and get the job of your dreams. Check out our trainings, tips, and tricks at www.GetHiredSecrets.com